BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

The Road to the Baby Boo...

 BabyFruit Ticker

Friday, July 9, 2010

Our little seahorse....

We had our first OB ultrasound today and I was sooo nervous!!  Tried to play it off like I was cool, calm, and collected, but um....no.  Ha!  


B and I have been calling our little boo "the baby seahorse" for the past few days because at this stage of the game, that's honestly what it looks like!  Ha!  Anyways, imagine our surprise when we went into the exam room for today's ultrasound and the stirrup covers had seahorses all over them!!  They use different covers every time, but I can honestly say I've never seen the seahorses!  So, it might sound silly, but at that moment I felt like it was a sign that everything was going to be OK.  And OK it was!!  :)  We saw our little boo easily and he/she is a whopping 6 mm with a nice strong heart beat at 121 bpm!  It was soooo cool to hear and see the tiny little heart beating away!  It made it so much more real!  :)

I'm due to go back in 2 weeks for a 9-week ultrasound and then I'll be released into the wild....or to the OB....something like that!  :)  

Speaking of OB's....I have a WWBD (What Would Blogland Do) question..... Here's the issue -- I really like my OB/GYN, she's awesome and totally comfortable with me and my partner.  She might be gay herself, but we're on the fence, she's a single mom who used donor sperm.  The only problem is, she doesn't deliver babies at the nice, new hospital 3 miles from my house.  She delivers at the giant hospital downtown, where B and I have had multiple negative experiences.  So, what would you do?  Switch OB's to one that delivers at the local, nice hospital - or stay true to the OB you like and deliver at a hospital you don't like?  Any opinions would be most appreciated!!  

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!  I know we will!!  :)   

4 comments:

e said...

wow..thats so exciting! and GREAT that you got to _hear_ the heartbeat that early! 121 is great!

Hm, I am totally torn on what advice to give. I feel like its really important to have an OB that you trust and feel comfortable with BUT I have also heard some crazy horror birth-stories and that really is when the rubber-meet-the-road as they say. Would you be assured that she would be delivering you? Or would you just get anyone on-call? Is there any chance you can have her and then do your birth at a birthing center or somewhere else?

tough choices for sure!

Carey said...

I would base my decision more on your prenatal care than the actual birth (when it comes to deciding on the doctor). My experience was whichever doctor was at the hospital that day did the delivery (and my office has about 10 doctors). Also the doctor was only in the room for about 15 minutes. My nurse stayed in the room and did everything until his head was basically out and then the doctor came in and just caught him and stitched me up. That being said, I would make sure I had a doctor that I really trusted for the prenatal care because that is when you are going to see them the most. You could go ahead and schedule a hospital tour and see what you think about the giant hospital. If they staff are anything at all like they are at pineville maternity, then they will be great. Sorry for rambling..just call me if you can't understand all this confusion that I just typed :)

K J and the kids said...

ugh. I feel you. I have to say that I delievered at a hospital that I wasn't happy with (location or facility) and it was my worst delivery experience yet. I hated the whole thing. I still have flash back bad memories :)
That said....I think if I LOVED my doctor(which I didn't)I would have probably had a better experience and outcome.
Good luck.
Let us know what you decide to do.

jessie said...

Hmmm that's a tough call. I think personally I'd go with the doctor if you could guarantee that she'd be delivering you. It's so important to have a caregiver that you trust!